B. R. A. K. E. S.
Group of Westfield NJ
Bikers Runners And Kids Expect Safety
The Westfield Police Department is working to improve pedestrian and traffic safety throughout the Town of Westfield. We would like to enlist the cooperation of the parents of school age children in this effort. Two major problems are parking and speeding. We would like to address these problems to eliminate the congestion around the schools at dismissal time and set an example for other motorists.
1. DO NOT park in prohibited areas, handicapped spaces or bus zones.
2. DO NOT PARK on or within 25 feet of crosswalks.
3. DO NOT PARK too close to intersections because it restricts drivers view.
4. DO NOT PARK too close to private driveways. It is unfair to the residents that live close to the schools.
5. PARK away from the school. Arrange to meet your child at a predetermined location at least one block away. Have a plan. Have a back up plan.
6. Encourage your child to walk or bike safely to school. Helmets are required for children under 14 years of age.
7. Watch for other children that may run out into the street.
8. Follow the directions and guidelines of the Crossing Guards. They are trained and are there for the safety of the children. Be patient.
9. DO NOT wave your children across the street. Go and meet them and cross with the Crossing Guard or at crosswalk. Drivers cannot see children coming out from between parked cars.
10. Obey the speed limit. Watch your speedometer. It probably leans closer to 40 mph than 25 mph. If you go the speed limit, so will the car behind you.
11. ALWAYS wear your seat belt and buckle up your children in the BACK SEAT. SEAT BELTS SAVE LIVES.
12. When waiting to pick up a student, the vehicle may use a "no parking zone" for a short period of time provided the operator remains in the vehicle and does not block a school bus zone, crosswalk or intersection.
WESTFIELD IS PEDESTRIAN FRIENDLY
Know the Rules
B.R.A.K.E.S. home page